Tuesday, April 19, 2011

America, where is your foot... I mean ft

So today I have been tweeting with @growingdark, a senior from Wyoming in the U S of A. I spent from about 5am to about 4pm tweeting about a wide variety of topics. But a topic that I most enjoyed discussing was Metric v. Imperial measurements. There is no argument, metric is superior and if you disagree watch this (Or just watch it to affirm you view)

But the question is... why does America still use imperial measurement. So I consult the internet on where the imperial "unit" is from. I heard it was the measurements of king henry's fingers, feet, stride and so on and so forth, what I found is that it is technically true but this occurred some time in his reign (1100–1135AD) and the actually Imperial unit is defined as a measurement set out under British law in 1824. But is this the same as the American Imperial unit well yes they have been confirmed as since 1959 (What?) The might have been the same before that but it isn't clear. So you would think that The U.S. would be the first to change there measurement to Metric, after they had all these wars and stuff with the British to gain there interdependence. And still in many movies and television shows produced in America the bad or at least shifty guy has an English or Russian (cold war fear!) accent. And why, there might be a good reason... but I have homework to do and my mother is asking me to feed the cat so I am going to say that is is simply because they are strange. Well you may ask, what system of measurement should we use overall. My answer is a simple one, we should use imperial. Now, pick your jaws off the ground. I'll explain why, in what other system of measurement is a Rod an unit of measure or a Fluid Scruple. These terms are amazing pieces of language, while imperial measurement should die in a hole for making maths hard for millions of students world wide, although not me. These words should live on, what should be done, is have these names applied to the closest metric equivalent (as in an inch is really a centimetre and a decimetre a foot) And think about it, metre is a boring name for anything... compared to a Fluid Scruple.

1 comment: